News & Information

Most Unusual Pet Insurance Claims

Guthrie Insurance

Veterinary Pet Insurance Co (USA) is holding their annual Hambone Award honoring the "Most Unusual Claim of the Year" selected from claims made from their 500,000 insured pets.

Following are brief summaries of the 11 unusual claims nominated. All nominated pets made full recoveries and received insurance reimbursements for eligible treatment expenses.

-- July 2012 - Chance the Labrador retriever (Clovis. Calif.). Curious canine, Chance went for a closer view of his neighbor's livestock and was broadsided by an exuberant goat and sent crashing into the pen's fencing.

-- August 2012 - Ariel the Himalayan cat (San Rafael, Calif.). Ariel's diminutive dimensions likely cost her one of her nine lives when she was trapped underneath her owners' garage door.

-- September 2012 - Ryder the Labrador retriever (Wilmington, Del.). Rambunctious Ryder enjoyed his dog chew so much; he accidentally swallowed the object, sending him to the veterinarian to treat diarrhea and colitis.

-- November 2012 - Dingo the mixed-breed dog (Denver, Colo.). 48-pound Dingo dined on two dozen uncooked bread dough rolls, causing yeast-related alcohol poisoning and landing him in the emergency animal hospital.

-- December 2012 - Natasha the Siberian Forest cat (Oakland, Calif.). Natasha was treated for shock and hypothermia after her owner's roommate accidentally completed a wash cycle with the curious cat inside the machine.

-- January 2013 - Macie the Labrador retriever (El Cajon, Calif.). Macie was out on a bike ride with her owner's son when the leash got caught on the front tire of the bicycle causing it to run over and fracture the pup's rear left leg.

-- February 2013 - Mocha the Bernese mountain dog (Barnegat, N.J.). When her owner stopped short in a parking lot, Mocha was thrust forward from the passenger seat, cracking the car windshield.

-- March 2013 - Winnie the mixed-breed dog (Barnstable, Mass.). 'Winnie the pooch' munched on a two-pound bag of frozen onion rings which led to a turbulent tummy and a trip to the veterinarian for potential onion poisoning.

-- April 2013 - McQuire the mixed-breed dog (Boulder, Colo.). Seemingly unafraid, McQuire went toe-to-toe with a 15-point buck. The deer dustup ended with the daring dog getting knocked to the ground and rolled over three times.

-- May 2013 - Pippa the Siamese cat (Irvine, Calif.). Pippa was rushed to the emergency animal hospital to treat the lacerations suffered when she got pinned behind her owners' refrigerator.

-- June 2013 - Luke the Labrador retriever (Emerald Isle, N.C.). Luke was taken to the emergency animal hospital for surgery to remove a golf ball that he accidentally swallowed while 'retrieving' it in his backyard.

"Each year, the VPI Hambone Award reminds us of the unpredictable nature of pets," said Dr. Carol McConnell, vice president and chief veterinary medical officer for VPI. "As we reviewed the claims for this year's nominees, the various stories evoked grave concern, fear and even laughter! What's important is that all of our Hambone nominees recovered, and perhaps we all learned a little something from their unfortunate events. Accidents do happen and pet owners should always be prepared for the unexpected."

SOURCE Veterinary Pet Insurance

Talk to the RIBO licensed and bonded professionals at Insureplus by Guthrie Insurance today!